Thursday, October 2, 2008


Hi--and Welcome to my blog!

I've established this blog to share with you some of my sea glass searching adventures as well as to show you some of my latest jewelry designs. I've been a little slow on building the website and hopefully that will evolve soon and I can show you that as well.

I'm a 61 year old grandmother, who loves walking on the beach. For as long as I can remember, I've kept my head down --searching the sand as I walked. For the last 25 years I've diligently searched for arrowheads. I've trained my eyes to ignore the shells and other debris and have concentrated on those elusive bits of ancient handworked stone. I've found many along Chincoteague Bay and still search for them. Through the years I have picked up thousands of sharp glass along the beach--worried that someone might step on it and cut themselves. Somewhere along the line, I discovered sea glass. Its beautiful worn frosted appearance always appealed to me. Lets face it--though the lovely worn frosted pieces aren't plentiful, there are certainly more of them than of arrowheads waiting to be picked up and it kept me from returning home empty handed. I saved the frosted gems in a bowl for the sun to shine through. When my husband retired, we found that we loved cruising-especially in the Caribbean. There, too, I found more bits of beach glass and happily carried it home. The sea glass has long ago outgrown the bowl in the window but the desire to collect it has never slowed. I finally realized that incorporating it into my jewelry would satisfy both the collector and the creator sides of me and that has brought me to my latest passion--sea glass jewelry. I have sold many of my pieces through shops at the beach and at first worried that the jewelry would erode too much of my sea glass collection but I found that it just inspires me to find more. Even my husband has gotten into the beachcombing and collecting and gets just as excited (almost)as I do when we find a great color. My jewelry is made only from sea glass that we, ourselves, have found. Sadly, there is now so much recycled, tumbled, fake sea glass out there that I don't buy my glass from anyone. All of my jewelry is made from the pieces we have found that are without sharp edges and that are totally "frosted". This is a very small portion of the glass that we find--the rest simply fills containers for us to smile at when the sun shines on them and the glass comes to life. I always try to keep in mind that this glass started as trash-tumbled in the waves until it landed on a beach-it is actually liter we pick up. Isn't it strange that our folly of dumping our trash into the ocean has rewarded us with these wonderful little treasures from the sea? Considering it's origins, I find it difficult to refer to any of it as flawless or gem quality as so many do--I simply use my best pieces to share with you the beauty that has been provided by the action of the waves and the sea.Our glass has been collected form the East Coast, Bermuda, the Caribbean and Puerto Rico. Thank you for looking and I hope you will enjoy my glass as much as I do.