Thursday, October 15, 2009

Let the Festival Begin!!

Hi All!
The Sea Glassing Weekend produced little in the way of usable sea glass--as is usually the case on the Mid-Atlantic beaches of NJ, DE and MD--better luck next time.
I haven't had time to even look through the few pieces I brought back--it was time to pack up for the Sea Glass Festival. As I looked at the pile in the family room I had serious doubts as to whether it would all fit in the car. We had decided against taking the truck because we were heading to Erie--land of "lake effect snow"
I really thought that Frank was being overly cautious but we decided on the car because of the all wheel drive.
Everything fit-we packed the car on Weds. and I started to relax a little.
We left for Erie at around 7:30 this morning. We live two miles from the turnpike entrance and it started to rain as soon as we got on. It rained for the whole 285 on the PA turnpike as well as the 123 on rt 79 heading into Erie. Amazingly, there were a few flurries mixed with the rain, the farther North we went.
We reached the hotel about 2:30 this afternoon and after checking in, we went out again to explore-neither of us have ever been to the Erie area before.
The first thing we did was drive down the road in front of the Hotel-rt 89-to the lake. It was raining but I still hopped out and checked out the beach. I found a few pieces of sea glass as well as some beautiful rocks--I filled a small box with my treasures and then jumped back in the car-out of the rain. We then drove down to the Convention Center to check out where we would need to go to set up tomorrow.
We got dinner at the resturant next to the hotel and here I am on the computer.
Frank just looked out the window and it is now snowing. The forcast for the area is up to 1-3 inches tonight and again tomorrow night. Thrills!!!
I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow--I'm glad we threw in the windshield scraper before we left.
Dianne